Landscape Watering and Going Green in ColoradoPosted by TheHomeCartTeam on Friday, July 20th, 2012 at 8:05pm.
As water shortages and high temperatures drag on through the summer months, one way that you can help the environment and go green in Colorado is to practice good landscape and grass watering techniques. Although many communities have limits on watering, there are still things you can do to keep your lawn growing without wasting precious water resources, even during the hottest, driest months.
Here are some tips for green watering in Colorado:
- Check if your watering restrictions apply in your community. It’s important to follow the rules of your community before watering.
- Only water when the grass needs it. Many people set their sprinkler system to automatically water at certain times, even if the grass doesn’t actually need the water. The easiest way to see if your lawn requires more water is to look at the grass. When it water is needed its appearance will look a little bit blue-gray in tint. The grass also won’t spring back when you walk on it. When between 30 and 50 percent of your grass looks this way, it’s needs watering.
- Water deeply. For bluegrass the soil should be moist down 6 to 8 inches and 8 to 12 inches for most other grasses. To test, turn your sprinklers on for 15 minutes, then turn them off. The following day use a probe or small hole to see how far the water went down. Once you determine how far down it went in 15 minutes, you will be able to determine how long you need to water for to get the water to the appropriate depth.
- Water in the morning, early. Watering in the early morning between 4am and 9am is the best. Remember that heat and the wind will cause some of the water to evaporate before it even hits the grass, so don’t water when it’s hot or windy.
- Get a rain barrel. You can collect rain water from the gutters of your home to use later on the lawn.
- Water areas with problems by hand. Just about every lawn has at least one area that just won’t grow well. Be sure to water this area by hand to ensure it gets enough water without over-watering the rest of the lawn.
Taking these few steps to ensuring your lawn gets watered in an environmentally and water-friendly way can make a big different to the way your lawn grows and the amount of water you are using.
Our select team here with TheHomeCart.com and Brokers Guild - Cherry Creek Ltd is committed to meeting all of your Colorado real estate needs. We use the latest technology and utmost degree of customer service to enhance your real estate buying and selling experience. Our team services the Colorado Front Range from Colorado Springs, through the Denver Metro up to Fort Collins. We specialize in offering relocation assistance for local, national and international buyers of homes and properties here in colorful Colorado. For more information about buying or selling your Denver area home, please contact us here at TheHomeCart.com.
Be the first to comment on this blog entry!
Leave a Comment
Area Quick Search
Latest Blog Entries
Whether you're a local in Denver or visiting for the fourth of July, the Cherry Creek Arts Festival provides a great way to celebrate the birth of our great country. The festival features performing, visual and even culinary arts with a yearly attend…Read Full Post...
When it's time to move to Denver for a new job opportunity or any other reason, it's important to select the right neighborhood for your new home. Many areas throughout Denver are perfect for families, singles, young couples and seniors. Here's a lis…Read Full Post...
Cheesman Park is found in the downtown area of Denver close to Capitol Hill. This is a great place for flying kites, enjoying a little quiet, settling in for a picnic or throwing a frisbee. Everybody can enjoy the park with plenty of areas for childr…Read Full Post...
Denver is home to a huge Cherry Blossom Festival, which happens every year at the Tri-State/Denver Buddhist Temple. This is a free event for all with food available for a fee. It includes dancing, martial arts, exhibits, demos and more. You can come …Read Full Post...
Finding the right shops, restaurants and entertainment in the Downtown Denver area isn't difficult if you know where Larimer Square is located. This is a great place to fulfill your shopping need, enjoy dinner and a movie, take in the scenery or atte…Read Full Post...